Sketching and Logo Creation (with Maggie Appleton) — Learn With Jason
- Maggie uses Porcreate on iPad to do all the sketching.
- Drawing Help:
- Draw a Box – https://drawabox.com/
- How to Draw by Scott Robertson - https://www.reddit.com/r/ArtFundamentals
[8:38] Comes up with two or three core themes that we are trying to communicate.
[11:50] During this step try to apply "Yes and" type of thinking.
[13:25] This step is where you come up with potential ideas. Based on your core themes get a long list of "keywords" that apply to those themes.
[25:21] Maggie uses these word-nerd tools when she get stuck on the word association step. Language Exploration Tools:
- OneLook Thesaurus – https://www.onelook.com/thesaurus/
- iWeb Corpus Search – https://www.english-corpora.org/iweb/
- Wordnik - https://www.wordnik.com/
- Etymology Dictionary – https://www.etymonline.com/
[32:53] Now the next step is making connections between the words. That is where SCAMPER comes in.
From Wikipedia - SCAMPER
SCAMPER is an acronym that provides a structured way of assisting students to think out of the box and enhance their knowledge. It is thought to protect students' creativity as they mature.
SCAMPER is an activity-based thinking process that can be performed by Cooperative learning. Here the teacher assists the students in choosing a particular topic and helps them to develop it through a structured process. After choosing an idea, the students are given a tale where they perform the activity in steps corresponding to the letters in the name.
- Substitute comes up with another topic that is equivalent to the present topics.
In our context how can we subsutute a part of the item from one listen with the item in another.
- Combine adds information to the original topic.
- Adjust identifies ways to construct the topic in a more flexible and adjusted material.
- Modify, magnify, minify creatively changes the topic or makes a feature/idea bigger or smaller.
- Put to other uses identifies the possible scenarios and situations where this topic can be used.
- Eliminate removes ideas or elements from the topic that are not valuable.
- Reverse, rearrange evolves a new concept from the original concept.
Everything is a box. Learn to draw boxes and you can draw many things
Same with circles, right. So if you can draw circles and boxes you must be a drawing god!
After doing a light sketch Maggie erases the sketch with a light eraser and draws on top of the "shadow" that is left.