As with my 2021 in Review post, I am following Anthony Gustin's Extensive Review Process.
What Do You Want?
What type of person do I want to be?
I want to be a good person. That entails being loving to my family, helping my friends, being kind to all the people. I want to be a very well-disciplined person that doesn't wait for things to happen to him, but rather pursues the goals and things that he wants. I want to do good work that helps people, improves their lives.
I think I spoke about this in other parts of this review, but at the end of the day, I just want to be a good person.
Clearly, different people have different ideas of what "good" is. So, perhaps, listing some people I look up to when it comes to being good, would help entail what my idea of good is. So here are some such people:
I also want to be a human being that always looks to improve in some way. Be it learning some history, reading some philosophy, building an app to learn a programming language, or anything else that improves me as a human being. This sounds corny to me by now, but I want to be a person that is in a constant beta mode.
This is not exactly behavior, but I would like to be a person that earns well and provides all the basic needs for his family, and more.
- Being more attentive to my SO (compliments, gifts, etc.)
- Health & Exercise
I mean, these are pretty regular themes :) We all want the same things I think.
Themes of Life (+ Goals)
- Family: 7
- Have a kid
- Finances: 7
- Get to around $1000 MRR with Side Hustle
- Physical health: 6
- Get to 70kg without added muscle mass
- Bring back the simple morning exercise (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups)
- Mental health: 6
- Make meditation a regular morning habit
- Learning: 8
- see below
- Relationships: 5
- Reach out to more people online and in real life.
- Fun: 4
- Work: 7
- get a raise (in the title this year)
- work on more visible projects (like abode)
- Travel: 7
- Travel around the US this year
- Visit Russia and travel to European countries for fun and a visa.
- Creativity: 4
- post a few articles with the help of my Obsidian database.
- Spirituality: 1
Projects in Life
Personal Website (Blog, Audience)
- start a new podcast (either like the Built with Django Podcast or like Made you Think Podcast)
- Write at least one tutorial this year
- Write at least one blog post with the help of Obisidian
- Get to 1000 Twitter Followers
- Get to 500 Newsletter subscribers
- Publish a newsletter every week
- Publish Notes on 12 books
Built with Django (Site and Podcast)
- Publish 12 podcast episodes
- Publish 12 blog posts (can be tutorials, interviews, or reposts)
- get to 100 users
- get to 500 subscribers
- get to 150 views per day by the end of the year (source)
OTB Chess (Community and Blog)
- get to 100 members
- publish a city on Reddit once a week
- publish 6 blog posts
- build a small random project in Rust
- build a small Solana project with Rust
- improve in Python even more
- build a small Algorand project with Python
- build a mobile app with React Native
- complete Cistercian Dates NFT Project
- get to 1600 ELO
- Complete the Duolingo Italian Course
- Learn 625 Italian Words
- Try going through the First Year program on the Great Books of the Western World
Other Tech to Learn/Improve in
- React Native
2022 Action and Plan
- This is where I take my goals from the last step and think about accountability and completion mechanics. Or in other words, how am I going to ensure that these tasks get done, how am I going to track them?
- I don't want to be too aggressive with my systems as the failure to comply with them might be crushing.
- I like my current approach where I work on a project that kind of feels right.
- Of course, I do have a hard schedule for some tasks. For instance: - Personal Newsletter every Tuesday. - Django Newsletter Every Friday that I have something to show for. - Chess improvements, meetups every Saturday, and 2 tournaments per month. That's around 52 practices + 24 tournaments. - Add notes to the Obsidian database every day - Do Duolingo exercises every day - Exercise every other day - Follow the slow carb diet
- Some of these tasks motivate and inspire further work on these projects.
- For other things, I will be waiting for the right time and regularly reviewing the goals. For example, to learn Rust I need a good amount of free time and mental space. For that, I need to finish the NFT project.
- So can't work on all the items, simultaneously, so with every milestone just have to consult my goals to see what can do next.